Sunday, July 11, 2010

Auto Racing's first lady "Miss Hurst Shifter" Linda Vaughn

Linda Vaughn "Miss Hurst Shifter" spent a few minutes with me at the York Reunion this past weekend.  She remembered the Roadster from it's life as a NHRA Super/Gas racer.  The last run down the quarter mile was round four at the 98 NHRA Pontiac Excitement Nationals in Columbus Ohio.  I had just taken out two former NHRA World Champions in the two previous rounds.  I had just cleared the tower tunnel and was the next set of cars to go in the water box.  Standing there was Linda, she walked over to the car leaned in to the cage in front of me and said "I love this car" and I was no good after that....went .395 red.  Here are a few photos of that run, now that was big time racing.  Also a few photos of Linda with the car as it is today.  To the right of Linda leaning in the car, is the actual 55 Chevy car from "Two lane blacktop" 

1 comment:

  1. Well if she was wearing the same kinda top I can see why you went red Wade. To funny.

    Hope

    ReplyDelete